Saturday, January 16, 2010

Work

For the last few weeks, I had a... well, I suppose it would be a part time job, because, even though i actually worked there full time, it only lasted for two weeks. So part time.

It was at a university bookstore, and I discovered something.

Being a cashier is one of the most fake, intimate, thought-provoking, and generally enlightening things ever. Plus it builds nerve and people skills.

Seriously.

FAKE: The entire experience is fake. I don't really care all that much if these people are doing well. I don't care if they have a nice day. I don't know them. I like them, I suppose, but if they are having a horrible day, then the only way it will affect me is if they are nasty to me. And then I won't like them anyway.

INTIMATE: Despite being, on the surface, fake, it is also incredibly intimate. Most of them give me their CREDIT CARD, which in today's culture, has and is nearly everything that represents them. I am holding and handling their credit card.

THOUGHT-PROVOKING: Generally all the things that make it intimate make it thought provoking. I am responsible for their happiness at this very moment. I could take a large amount of their money, forcing them to interrupt their day tomorrow and complain to Returns. I am powerful and knowledgeable in their eyes. I have the knowledge of The Cash Machine. The little tag around my neck gives me knowledge. It's kind of a scary thought.

ENLIGHTENING: it is a fantastic way to people-watch. I know a lot I didn't know about man in general. Unfortunately it is hard to put into words, and is more just a *feeling* of enlightenment.

NERVE AND PEOPLE SKILLS: I flagged down a waitress at a restaurant yesterday!!! This may not seem like much, but, having previously no nerve, I wouldn't have done it.

Huzzah!

1 comment:

  1. Working with people is very enlightening. It's one thing to get paid for having people yell at you, but I usually volunteer, and having people treat me mean in that situation is even more surprising. Recently I have volunteered at Bingo.
    Now that was interesting!
    Good to hear you gained some insight into people...and yourself!

    ReplyDelete